Reasons why Manning will be released – Quick ThoughtsPosted: January 17, 2012
It is a very sad time for me personally at least, to finally be facing the very likely possibility that Manning will be released by the Colts. Some of the fans are still holding out hopes that Manning will stay for a year or two, mentoring Luck. Well, to be honest, my gut instinct, like some veteran Colts bloggers or fans, tells me that is it not “feasible”.
Now Caldwell has been released. It is time for me to share with you why I think Manning will be released.
- $28 Million bonus – while it is not the most important factor obviously if Manning is healthy, since Irsay believes the GOAT is worth it. However, if Manning is not 100% or 110% healthy, this price tag is indeed too deep. Don’t forget the $23 Millions already lost (Irsay may consider that the price to pay for #1 Luck this year).
- New GM Ryan Grigson is only 39 years old, with a Feb birthday and Manning a March birthday, he is only 4 years older than Manning. If I were him, I would prefer a young pup to boss around or manage, rather than having to deal with an ever-powerful 4-time MVP in the Colts organization. He may not be the final decision maker on Manning, but do you think he will not forcefully put in his 2 cents?
- Manning probably will not be 100% by March 8. Don’t be mistaken in thinking that Manning will not be 100% healthy again, he simply will most likely not be healthy by that “deadline”.
- Irsay has explicitly compared this year to 1998, like 100 times? Yes, he will have a new GM, Coach and QB, and he has 28 million excuses to do that.
- Irsay is smitten with Luck, due to the Manning comparison, most Colts fans are – personally I think it is a big mistake.
- Irsay wants a balanced team, which means spending on both sides of the balls has to be very similar. A new Top #1 QB contract is most palatable in this aspect.
- Although Luck has said all the “right” things, or basically nothing of notice, he does not want to sit on the bench, see comments after Fiesta Bowl loss.
- I will add more when my mind returns to normal….
Let us share this tweet from an impartial 3rd party, a WR no less..
I think the colts are going to let Peyton manning go and it will be the biggest mistake in that franchise history
— Roddy White (@roddywhiteTV) January 17, 2012
Let me make it clear that I am all for sticking with the GOAT for a few more years if he is healthy and trade the 1st pick to get a boatload of talents and make a few more SB runs. But Peyton’s health and timing cannot be ignored. While it is highly likely he can come back 100%, but by no means before March 8, or even before the draft. Irsay is no dummy, for 28 Million dollars, I believe he will cut ties with his family too!
Feel free to post using the “write your own post links, and comments. Personal attacks or insulting languages are not acceptable, mind you. :) We shall have some thought-provoking discussions. Personal opinions and instincts by definition are personal, they need not be the same with everybody.
Powered by Facebook Comments